[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Nov 8 12:36:49 EST 2008

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Tuesday, November 11, 2008  **NOTE NON-STANDARD DAY**
11:45-1:30
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Marco Carbone
Queen Mary's University, London

Communication-Centred Programming with Session Types

In this talk, I shall introduce two different paradigms of descriptions
of communication behaviour, one focussing on global message flows and
another on end-point behaviours, using formal calculi based on session
types. The global calculus, which originates from a web service description
language (W3C WS-CDL), describes an interaction scenario from a
vantage viewpoint; the end-point calculus, an applied typed pi-calculus,
precisely identifies a local behaviour of each participant. We explore a
theory of end-point projection, by which we can map a global description
to its end-point counterpart preserving types and dynamics. Three
principles of well-structured description and the type structures play a
fundamental role in the theory.

Upcoming Events:

# Wed 11/12 no seminar
# Wed 11/19 Geoffrey Mainland (Harvard): Flask: Functional Programming
  for sensor networks (tentative)

# No talks scheduled past these.  Come give a talk!

--Mitch