[Pl-seminar] Laurie Hendren at Harvard 12/1

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Oct 28 12:18:42 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
From: 	- Fri Oct 28 08:48:57 2005
Date: 	Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:22:59 -0400
From: 	Carol Harlow <harlow at deas.harvard.edu>
To: 	colloquium at deas.harvard.edu
Subject: 	Talk - Thursday, Dec. 1, 2005
Sender: 	owner-colloquium at deas.harvard.edu
autolearn=ham version=3.0.2

Harvard University
Computer Science Colloquium Series
33 Oxford St.
Cambridge, MA 02138

Colloquium

Optimizing AspectJ with abc

Laurie Hendren*
McGill University

Thursday, December 1, 2005
4:00PM
Maxwell Dworkin G125
(Ice Cream at 3:30PM - Maxwell Dworkin 2nd Floor Lounge Area)

Abstract
AspectJ, an aspect-oriented extension of Java, is becoming increasingly
popular.  However, not much work has been directed at optimizing
compilers  for AspectJ.  Optimizing aspect-oriented languages provides
many new and interesting challenges for compiler writers, and this talk
will identify and address three such challenges.

The talk will first introduce the important notions of aspect-oriented
programming through examples using AspectJ and will also provide an
introduction to abc, our AspectBench compiler for AspectJ.  We will then
explain the challenges and how we have addressed these challenges within
the context of abc.

The challenges are as follows.  First, compiling around advice
efficiently is particularly difficult.  We provide  a new code
generation strategy for around advice, which (unlike previous
implementations) both avoids the use of excessive inlining and the use
of closures. We show it leads to more compact code, and can also improve
run-time performance.  Second, woven code sometimes includes run-time
tests to determine whether advice should execute.   One important case
is the cflow pointcut which uses information about the dynamic calling
context.  Previous techniques for cflow were very costly in terms of
both time and space.   We present new techniques to minimize or
eliminate the overhead of cflow using both intra- and inter-procedural
analyses.  Third, we have addressed the general problem of how to
structure an optimizing compiler so that traditional analyses can be
easily adapted to the aspect-oriented setting.

The talk will conclude with some discussion of the next important
problems to address in optimizing AspectJ.

* Joint work with Pavel Avgustinov, Sascha Kuzins, Oege de Moor, Damien
Sereni, Ganesh Sittampalam and Julian Tibble (Oxford); Jennifer Lhotak
and Ondrej Lhotak (McGill); and Aske Simon Chirstensen (Aarhus).

My home page is: http://www.sable.mcgill.ca/~hendren

and the research page most relevant to my talk is:  http://aspectbench.org

       Host:    Professor Norman Ramsey

--