[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Mar 22 16:28:41 EST 2005

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, March 23, 2005
11:45-1:15
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Cormac Flanagan
UC Santa Cruz

Type Systems for Multithreaded Software

Developing correct multithreaded software is very challenging, due to
the potential for unintended interference between threads. We present
type systems for verifying two key non-interference properties in
multithreaded software: race-freedom and atomicity. Verifying
atomicity is particularly valuable since atomic procedures can be
understood according to their sequential semantics, which
significantly simplifies subsequent (formal and informal) correctness
arguments. We will describe our experience applying these type systems
and corresponding type inference algorithms to standard multithreaded
benchmarks and other applications, and illustrate some defects
revealed by this approach.

Upcoming Events:

3/30 Felix Klock
4/ 6 Eli Barzilay: Implementing Syntactic Reflection in Nuprl

--Mitch