[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Feb 17 00:05:01 EST 2004

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, February 18, 2004
306 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 60 on http://www.campusmap.neu.edu/)
1145-145. Bring your lunch.

Greg Pettyjohn

Modeling Web Interactions

Abstract:
Programmers confront a minefield when they design interactive Web
programs. Web interactions take place via Web browsers. With browsers,
consumers can whimsically navigate among the various stages of a dialog
and can thus confuse the most sophisticated corporate Web sites. In
turn, Web services can fault in frustrating and inexplicable ways. The
quickening transition from Web scripts to Web services lends these
problems immediacy.
To address this programming problem, we develop a foundational model of
Web interactions and use it to formally describe two classes of errors.
The model suggests techniques for detecting both classes of errors. For
one class we present an incrementally checked record type system, which
effectively eliminates these errors. For the other class, we introduce
a dynamic safety check, which catches the mistakes relative to
programmers' simple annotations.

[Joint work with: Graunke, Findler, Krishnamurthi, Felleisen]

Upcoming Events:

W 2/25 no meeting (NEPLS at NU on T 2/23!)
W 3/3  no meeting (NU Spring Break)
W 3/10 Josh Guttman (MITRE)

Volunteers are needed for 3/17 et seq

--Mitch