[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 11 00:05:01 EST 2003

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, November 12, 2003
206 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 60 on http://www.campusmap.neu.edu/)
1145-145. Bring your lunch.

Theo Skotoniotis

Northeastern University

will present

A Theory of Aspects, by David Walker, Steve Zdancewic, and Jay Ligatti
(ICFP 2003).

Abstract:

We define the semantics of MinAML, an idealized aspect-oriented
programming language, by giving a type-directed translation from
its user-friendly external language to its compact, well-defined
core language. We argue that our framework is an effective way to
give semantics to aspect-oriented programming languages in
general as the trans-lation eliminates shallow syntactic differences
between re-lated constructs and permits definition of a clean,
easy-to-understand, and easy-to-reason-about core language.
The core language extends the simply-typed lambda calculus with
two central new abstractions: explicitly labeled program points
and first-class advice. The labels serve both to trigger advice
and to mark continuations that the advice may return to. These
constructs are defined orthogonally to the other features
of the language and we show that our abstractions can be used in
both functional and object-oriented contexts. The labels are
well-scoped and the language as a whole is well-typed.
Consequently, programmers can use lexical scoping in the
standard way to prevent aspects from interfering with local
program invariants.

Upcoming Events:

11/19: Dale Vaillancourt: Separation Logic

12/2: Greg Pettyjohn: Cocoon

12/9: Phillipe Meunier

1/7/04: Harry Mairson

--Mitch