[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:12:25 -0500 (EST)

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, February 13, 2002
306 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 62 on the unfortunate map at http://www.neu.edu/maps/maps.html)
1030-1230

Greg Sullivan, MIT

Design and Implementation of GLOS, "Greg's Little Object System"

Over the past few years and several projects, I've developed a
small library of Scheme functions and macros that provide:
  * record types with multiple inheritance,
  * multiple dispatch (multimethods),
  * a type system with singleton types, conjunction and disjunction,
    and predicate types,
  * simple method combination (before and after methods), and
  * next-method.
The goal has always been to provide orthogonal capabilities with
extreme simplicity.  The code is currently only about 1500 lines of
Scheme. I will give an overview of the system, with lots of
examples, including some from a project implementing the GOF Design
Patterns in Scheme.  I am interested in feedback from other Schemers
not only regarding design and implementation issues but also whether
this system might be useful for teaching object-oriented
programming, as an alternative to the more popular message passing,
class-centric approaches.

Upcoming presentations:

2/20 TBA

2/27 Harold Ossher

Most meetings will be 1030-1230 in 306 EG.