[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:05:01 -0500 (EST)

NU Programming Languages Seminar
Wednesday, January 30, 2002,  10:30-12:30
306 Egan  Hall, Northeastern University
    (building 62 on the unfortunate map at http://www.neu.edu/maps/maps.html)

Mitchell Wand

will continue his presentation on

Small-step Flow Analysis:  But Wait, There's More!

0CFA is known to be sound with respect to a variety of semantics:  big
and small step; call-by-name, call-by-value, and unrestricted beta.
We will sort out some of these soundness results.

We show that the soundness theorem a la Palsberg 95 (small-step,
substitution semantics) is strictly weaker than the the soundness
theorem a la Palsberg 94/Wand-Steckler 94 (big-step, environment
semantics).

[On 1/30 we'll start here:]

We retrieve the power of environment semantics for a small-step
semantics by showing the soundness of 0CFA for a small-step
environment/continuation machine.  We then extend the proof to cover a
store; providing a simpler alternative to the semantics of (Flanagan
and Felleisen 95).

The presentation will be largely self-contained if you weren't here on
the 23rd.

Upcoming presentations:

2/6  NUCCS PL Day! See http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/PL/

2/13 Greg Sullivan

Most meetings will be 1030-1230 in 306 EG.