[PL-sem-jr] [Reminder] PL Jr today at 2

Artem Pelenitsyn a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 15:26:29 EDT 2019

Hello everyone,

As a *short* follow-up exercise for today's discussion, I suggest you all
try the following.

Section 7.1.7 of the book introduces the Reader functor `((→) r)` i.e. the
type constructor for all function types accepting a value of type r as an
argument. Just like the Maybe type constructor maps `Int` to `Maybe Int`
etc., Reader r maps `Int` to `r → Int` (a function type from r to Int's),
etc.

Exercise. Find out why (→ r) — a type constructor for function types
*returning* values of type r — is NOT a functor. (The `(→ r)` type
constructor maps `Int` to `Int→ r`, etc.) Where does the definition of
Functor breaks for (→ r)?

Hint: it breaks real quick.

--
Best wishes,