[PL-sem-jr] Category Theory for Programmers book

Artem Pelenitsyn a.pelenitsyn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 15:02:02 EST 2019

Hello juniors,

We've decided to try out Bartosz's book on CT for programmers:

https://github.com/hmemcpy/milewski-ctfp-pdf/releases/download/v1.0.0/category-theory-for-programmers.pdf

*Read first two chapters for the next meeting* and think about exercises
there that you'd like to discuss.

There is also a concern about the presentation of maths in code, which I
partially share. There are multiple math books on CT that — at least, in
their titles — try to motivate “computer scientists” learning CT and not
going through the code. Those are by:

* B. C. Pierce,
* M. Barr & C. Wells,
* A. Asperti & G. Longo,

These and some others are listed in this popular reading list:

> https://github.com/steshaw/plt#books-5

Personally, I don't think any of those reach their goal. I  like the book
by Steve Awodey (also referenced there), which uses STLC as its running
example, more.

--
Best wishes,
Artem