[PL-sem-jr] PL Junior - Monday November 9 - Intro to Cats

Max New maxsnew at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 21:36:24 EST 2014

12:00-1:30pm WVH 366

Category Theory is endemic in PL conferences these days and it sounds like
a lot of abstract nonsense to the uninitiated. Recursion schemes, monads,
adjunctions, what does it all mean?

This talk will serve as an introduction to the mathematical language that
is Category Theory. We'll see that Category Theory is a very PL view of
mathematics and we'll see how we can express familiar PL concepts in the
language of Category Theory, establishing the third plank of the
Curry-Howard-Lambek correspondence.

No previous familiarity with Category Theory is assumed.

-Max Stewart New