[PL-sem-jr] Seminar tomorrow (Thursday) 12-2pm in 166

Justin R. Slepak jrslepak at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jan 18 13:21:22 EST 2012

Aaron will be taking us on "A tour of mathematical logic"

Abstract:
We often think of logic as the way we carry out mathematics, but logic
itself can be studied mathematically.  This means we can:

 - define truth
 - define proof
 - see how closely the two correspond

As we'll see, there are many kinds of truth of interest, and hence
many kinds of logic worth studying.

In this talk, I will cover the basic ingredients that make up "a
logic": model theory, proof theory, soundness, and (sometimes)
completeness.  I'll introduce this framework via the canonical example
of first-order logic, including Gödel's incompleteness theorems, but
we'll see at least one other, radically different logic as well.

I will stress connections with and applications to computer science throughout.

---
Justin Slepak
PhD student, Computer Science dept.