No subject

Tue Apr 5 14:00:54 EDT 2011

Presenter:
Aaron Turon

Abstract:
Domain theory has a reputation for being esoteric, and it can be.  But
the basic structures needed to understand recursion mathematically
can, in fact, be directly motivated by programming intuitions.
Fixpoints, in particular, are the key to understanding the jump that
programming enables from the finite to the infinite -- the very heart
of computation.  Whether or not you use domains or denotational
semantics directly, these ideas are essential.  They pervade our
understanding of languages.

In this tutorial talk, I'll introduce the essential ingredients of
domain theory, motivating each step by (1) programming intuition and
(2) semantic necessity.  We'll travel from a simple big-step semantics
all the way to the full abstraction problem from PCF.  You'll get
comfortable with CPOs, continuity, and least fixpoints, and you'll
never see your programs in quite the same way again.

--e0cb4e70046735cac704a279d3c6

Thu 05/05, Room WVH366 3:00-5:00pm<br>