[PL-sem-jr] Talk monday, Mon 6/28, 14:00

Vincent St-Amour stamourv at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jun 26 11:16:44 EDT 2010

Mon 6/28 Room WVH166 14:00-16:00

Paul - Macros without parentheses

There are two steps called "parsing" that a Scheme program undergoes: one
transforms a string into an S-expression before anything else happens, and
one locally interprets the meaning of code, in the context of the current
bindings, including macro definitions.  Our work unifies those two parsers,
allowing macro definitions full control over syntax of the language,
including the syntax for defining macros.

I'll talk about the motivations for this work, some of the difficulties
encountered in making a system like this (especially those involving
hygienic macro-defining macros), and I'll wildly speculate about how this
could be used.