[PL-sem-jr] Talk tomorrow, Mon 2/15

Vincent St-Amour stamourv at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Feb 14 15:38:17 EST 2010

Mon 2/15 Room WVH166 10:00-12:00

Dan - A zoology of monads for programming

Monads are an abstraction for programming with effects—things like
state, exceptions, nondeterminism, and even continuation passing.
Although monads are often thought of as a math trick that makes I/O
work in Haskell, they are actually just a programming trick for
writing simpler and more modular code. In this talk we will look at a
variety of effectful programs, identify the redundant parts, and see
how refactoring leads us to the structure of a monad.

Time permitting, we will transfer our intuitions about monads to the
nearby concept of comonads and briefly see how they give us an
abstraction for programming with context dependency.