[PL-sem-jr] Talk tomorrow, Wed 10/7

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 6 22:48:33 EDT 2009

**Note nonstandard room, WVH366**

PL Jr talk:
  Tomorrow, Wed 10/7, 11:30-1:30, **WVH366**

Speaker: Aaron
Title: Semantic Paradigms

Abstract:

There is life after operational semantics.

In this tutorial, we'll ponder on the meaning of "semantics", and why
semantics matters.  Then we'll examine a simple language from several
semantic perspectives, relating them each to each other.  Not just for
fun, but also profit: for each semantic style, we'll perform a
meaningful proof that would be hard to perform in any of the other
styles.

The semantic styles we'll cover include operational, denotational,
axiomatic, algebraic, and perhaps game-theoretic.  We'll touch briefly
on nondeterminism, concurrency, and high school algebra.

Part 1: Semantics = contextual equivalence
Part 2: Logic = refinement = contextual approximation