[PL-sem-jr] Talk Monday, 3/16: Dan on "Arrow-oriented programming for modeling probability and delay"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Mar 15 20:08:41 EDT 2009

PLJR continues on Monday 3/16 in WVH166 from 2:30-4:30.  Dan will
deliver the following talk:

Arrow-oriented programming for modeling probability and delay

Abstract:

In this interactive talk we will use arrow-oriented programming* to
construct denotational models for a first-order languages of while
loops extended with operators for probabilistic choice and time delay.
I will introduce arrow-oriented programming and its basic
constructions* so we can first build a simple model for the subset of
the language without loops. We will then see a condition* under which
we can model loops, similar in flavor to limits from domain theory. I
will then introduce two fancier constructions** so we can build
separate models for each of probabilistic choice and delay—the first
of which will satisfy our loop condition. We will then see how to
combine these two models into a single model for the entire language.

*category theory
*products and coproducts
*partial additivity
*a probability monad and its Kleisli category
*a writer monad and its Kleisli category

--

Upcoming schedule:
3/23 Feng - pi calculus