[PL-sem-jr] Planning

Carl Eastlund carl.eastlund at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 00:57:49 EDT 2004

Well, we've all blocked out a time, let's do something with it.  I
suggest we meet at the ordained time - Monday, 12:30, somewhere - and
meet to discuss the immediate plans of PL Seminar, Jr., including, but
definitely not limited to:

- Where to meet (is there a convenient room to reserve?)
- What topics do we want to hear?
- What topics do we want to present?

Even better, if offered and desired topics match up, the prospective
audience can give topic and format requests to the prospective
speaker.

To get people thinking, here's what's on my mind:

- I've been volunteered (by myself and by others) to reprise my first
talk from HoPL.  I second the motion, I accept.

- I'd love to see a reprise of Dave Herman's dependent types talk.  I
know what he's talking about, but others are more shaky.  Also, I'm
hoping a non-HoPL format might spend more time on applications than
origins.  This might be more enlightening, if there are actually any
applications to be discussed.

- Before either of those talks, perhaps someone should give a type
theory primer - make sure we're all on the same page and up to speed.
Typing inference rules and terms like "simply typed lambda calculus",
"parametric polymorphism", and "Hindley-Milner inference" should be
familiar before we delve into our more esoteric topics.

See you all Monday afternoon, and please someone have a request
outside of type theory!

--Carl