[linux-users] New Upgrade Cycle

Andrew Medico amedico at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Sep 7 21:43:31 EDT 2004

At last week's meeting, we decided on a new upgrade cycle. Instead of
upgrading "whenever" and repeatedly putting off updates, we have switched
to a fixed schedule of two major upgrades per semester. This will allow us
to provide a reasonably stable environmet for our users, and it will also
allow us more time to address specific user needs.

This semester's upgrades will take place on the following dates:

Fall '04 Release 1: September 15

Fall '04 Release 2: November 10

Each of these updates will involve a short downtime of 15-30 minutes at
12:00. Users will be pleased to know that this new schedule allows us to
do away with the weekly reboots, making the machines more pratical for
running screen sessions and such.

Additional schedule information is on our wiki, at
http://crew.ccs.neu.edu/wiki/LinuxCalendar. Further updates will be sent
detailing the changes included in each upgrade.

--
Andrew Medico <amedico at ccs.neu.edu>
Crew Linux Project Admin