[Linux-users] Verbose discussion of linux downtime (was Re: linux unavailability)

Ari Pollak ari at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Oct 21 12:32:00 EDT 2003

Sorry, one of the unfortunate side-effects of the new revision
of this project is that, unlike the last switch, all machines will have
to be inaccessible during the development process. We do not
have the resources to be able to support two totally different
systems for managing the machines at once, and we do not feel
that both sets of systems would end up getting the attention they
deserve. In addition, because the machines will be under heavy
development, they probably would not be too useful for everyday
use because of constant rebooting & configuration changes.

That being said, we understand that many people have become
accustomed to the Linux machines and that they are being used
for a lot of important work. We will try our best to get at
least a couple of test machines up and running within the next
month or so, but at the same time they will only be released
when they are totally ready for public consumption.

There are an enormous number of backend changes planned that
most users will never see, but some of the improved/new systems
which may be rolled out are the following:
- More elaborate software and system testing; make
beta or new versions of software avilable for those who would
like to test, but also keep already-tested, stable software
easily accessible and kept stable. Ease of rolling back changes
should new versions break things, as well as the ability to keep
older versions around.
- Better organization of software, to make it easier to find
what you need, along with a possible graphical and/or web-based
menu for software
- In prototype stages now: a graphical bug-reporting tool, for
easy crash/bug reports
- Most of all, tighter integration with CCIS, more compliancy
with standards already put in place at CCIS, keeping up-to-date
with network changes, all while still being an independent and
Crew-run project.

All of these plans will result in far less downtime, instant
changes, and a more stable system.