[Linux-users] syslog and pine

Jason Jay Rodrigues linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jan 23 02:08:39 EST 2003

In COM1101, Some of the tutors/ta's have been reccomending the Eclipse
IDE.  This is a 50mb install, which is beyond most student's quotas.
Could this be installed on the linux beta image for students?

Jason

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Kevin Falcone wrote:

| Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:44:26 -0500
| From: Kevin Falcone <falcone@ccs.neu.edu>
| To: linux-users@lists.ccs.neu.edu
| Subject: [Linux-users] syslog and pine
|

| Since this list carries no traffic, jon and I decided to liven it up
| tonight.
|
| I noticed that the linux boxes weren't logging user accesses to tig
| like we thought they were.  This happened because we were sending
| authpriv.* to tig, but tig is listening for auth.* and priv.*
| We've corrected this by sending all three alerts (and mail.*) to tig.
| authpriv seems to catch things such as failed su attempts and failed
| login attempts, so at some point it would be nice for tig to log
| these.

| to 2.53  (/arch/unix).  And I've taken the pine.conf from the solaris
| machines and hopefully this will solve sreenath's problem.
|
| xpdf 2.01 has been installed to complement acroread
|
| latex/tex has been installed.  For some odd reason, slackware didn't
| include it in the base install we did back during the summer <boggle>
|
| If there is further software people want to see installed, your beta
| privileges will work just fine on the linux boxes.
|
| -kevin

- --
Jason Jay Rodrigues
Undergraduate, Northeastern College of Computer Science
=====
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.
Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.
All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."
 --George Bernard Shaw