[Linux-users] Kernel Stat Question [OFFTOPIC]

Sundara Raman Rajagopalan linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:18:19 -0500

Hi,

   I am doing a series of projects in the linux kernel as an independent
  study ( Interested? please see www.geocities.com/happysundar), and I
  am stuck with a problem.

   The aim is to write a system call that will find the number of page faults
  (major page faults, not minor); I find that the information is stored in the
  kernel_stat structure in file linux/include/linux/kernel_stat.h, and the
  variables are pgpgin and pgpgout ( At least, I *think* so.. if there is
  any other kernel variable that keeps track of the system page faults, do
  let me know).

   As might be expected, the /proc vfs also uses the same data for kstat;
 however, when displaying the data, the values pgpgin and pgpgout are
 *divided by 2!* and I can't figure out why the heck it is done!. See the
  snippet of code from file fs/proc/proc_misc.c:

   kstat.pgpgin >> 1,
   kstat.pgpgout >> 1

    I have posted the question in comp.os.linux.development.system, but no
 response so far.

    It would be nice if some one could answer this question.

Thanks!
--
Sundara Raman Rajagopalan                  .-.    .-. .-..-. .-..-. .-..-.
M.S Comp Systems Engineering               | |__  | | | .` | | || |  >  <