[Linux-users] New Linux image

Jonathan J. Hart linux-users at lists.ccs.neu.edu
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:37:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi there,

Just a quick note to say that linux-beta3 is in on 9 out of 10 machines in
lab 201.  There were no huge changes that I'm aware of, but acroread and
java3d are now installed.  This image was by no means perfect, but not
having a pdf viewer on the linux machines makes life difficult.

There were other changes that happened somewhere between beta2 and beta3
and they dealt with some issues that were posted to the list.  I suppose
the next step would be to make mozilla play nicer by default: add support
for some more file types (i.e., you click on a pdf file, you want acroread
to open it) and make sure all the plugins and mime-types are in
order.  Eric Bergeron also wants the cd-roms to be mountable by regular
users.  We could hash this out on #crew and make the changes happen
sometime next week.

fyi,

-jon