[Larceny-users] cyclic library dependency

Alex Shinn alexshinn at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 04:48:22 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 3:17 AM, William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> > I am trying to compile R7RS libraries that contain a (direct) cyclic
> dependency.
> > If I use compile-stale from the shell, this enters a recursion running
> out of
> > mmap space.
> > compile-library from the REPL will not work either.
> > What else could work?
> >
> > Any work-around appreciated.
> > (Except breaking the cycle in my code :-) )
>
> I didn't think cyclic dependencies were allowed by the R7 library system.

I'd have to double check, but I don't think we explicitly forbid them.
Nonetheless it's pretty much always indicative of a broken design,
and I wouldn't expect any implementation to support it.  Chibi catches
this case and gives an explicit error.

I know cyclic dependencies aren't allowed by the R6 library system, and
> I thought the R7 library system was supposed to have the same semantics
> as the R6 system with a few features added and subtracted.

Basically yes - we don't have low-level macros or versions
so the semantics are vastly simpler, and we used a syntax
allowing for easy inclusion of existing R5RS code.

Where does R6RS state it forbids cyclic libraries?

--
Alex