[Larceny-users] License and compilation on Windows 7

Mikko Vanhatalo mv at cmpeq.com
Mon Aug 20 16:27:25 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-20 19:47, will at ccs.neu.edu wrote:
> This is probably a DEP issue,

It indeed was DEP that was causing the problem, after that everything
went
smoothly. Although I had to disable DEP completely.

> I believe that an application constructed as you describe would
> count as a "Combined Work" under the LGPL, so you'd have to do
> the five things described in part 4 of the current LGPL (online
> at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html ).  Your script would
> probably satisfy requirement 4d1, and requirement 4e probably
> doesn't apply to you or is already satisfied by your installation
> documentation, so I think it would be enough for you to change
> your documentation to satisfy parts 4a, 4b, and 4c.
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor am I an expert on the LGPL.
> The reason Larceny is covered by the LGPL is that it uses Sassy
> (and possibly a couple of other components) that are covered by
> the LGPL, and the LGPL tends to infect any software that uses
> software covered by the LGPL.

As to the license, it seems that if I would follow the requirement 4d1
and if the requirement 4e applied to me, I would have to also "convey
Corresponding Source". Trying to find out whether I have to provide
such
information leads to a down spiral through the GPL.

But it seems that, if no other accompanied license forbids it, I could
package the source code with the software. Thereby fulfilling the
requirement 4d0 and 4e. 'Software' probably meaning the fasl-files.
I'm guessing that the heaps generated by Larceny can't be 'separated',
or rolled back to some format where they could be linked back again,
which would violate the license.

But I may have misinterpreted this all and most likely will have to
ask someone who really understands this stuff.

Thank you for the quick reply.