[Larceny-users] err5rs mode undefined global variable primitives in Larceny 0.97

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:44:53 EST 2011

Patrick Pippen wrote:
> When I built larceny everything built smoothly and I built err5rs and
> r6rs mode like this.
> as mention in the documentation files that came with Larceny's source.
>
> > (require 'r6rsmode)
> > (larceny:compile-r6rs-runtime)
> > (exit)
>
> But running larceny -err5rs gives errors as showed below, how can I fix this?
> $ larceny -err5rs
> Larceny v0.97 "Funny in the Head" (Jan  9 2011 22:46:26, precise:Linux:unified)
> larceny.heap, built on Sun Jan  9 23:27:11 CST 2011
> WARNING from macro expander:
> Syntactic keyword used as a variable
> begin
> WARNING from macro expander:
> Syntactic keyword used as a variable
> if
[snip]

That output usually indicates that Larceny's R6RS mode wasn't
built properly, but you showed the correct steps for that build.
I'd wonder whether there's a problem with your execution path
or file permissions.

In any case, I'd suggest you start over with a clean download
of binary Larceny.  On Linux, that clean download should run
in ERR5RS and R6RS modes just as soon as you unpack the gzip'ed
tar file, without having to recompile Larceny's R6RS mode.

If Larceny's ERR5RS mode runs okay in the clean download, but
doesn't work after you recompile Larceny's R6RS mode as above,
then I'd like to know all of the steps you took, starting with
the download.  I'd also want to know which version of Linux
you're running, just in case that turns out to be relevant.

One last thing:  If you're building Larceny from source code,
please let us know all of the steps you took for that build
also.  There's more room for error when building from source
code; in particular, rebuilding the original Larceny's R6RS
mode doesn't rebuild the newly compiled Larceny's R6RS mode,
and vice versa.

Will