[Larceny-users] procedure introspection

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Mar 15 15:35:19 EDT 2009

Jose A Ortega Ruiz (jao) wrote:
> Unless procedure-arity is extended to provide them, i'd be using
> procedure-expression to get the arguments' *names*, to display short
> help notices in emacs echo area (using eldoc).

Larceny already retains the variable names, but we never
extended src/Lib/Common/procinfo.sch to provide access to
them.  How about we add procedure-arguments to fix that?

> Is there a similar facility for macros?

No.

> While we're at it, i've got a couple more questions:
>
> - is there (or could there be in future versions) a way to obtain a list
>   of callers and callees of a given procedure?

Not really.

In higher order languages like Scheme, the general problem
is undecidable, so you'd have to settle for an approximation.

Larceny's compiler computes a first-order approximation that's
limited to the compilation unit, but I doubt whether that
would be good enough for your purposes.

Will