[Larceny-users] running fasl's

Marijn Schouten (hkBst) hkBst at gentoo.org
Fri Mar 13 11:11:24 EDT 2009

William D Clinger wrote:
> As of revision:6120, Larceny's implementation of random-integer
> from SRFI 27 is considerably faster than before.  If that has
> been holding you back, you might want to replace the old versions
> of lib/SRFI/srfi-27.sch	and lib/SRFI/srfi/%3a27.sls with the new
> ones relative to
>
> https://trac.ccs.neu.edu/trac/larceny/browser/trunk/larceny_src/
>
> Will

Hi Will,

as mentioned in my mail about the versions I just installed from the svn repo.
Performance improved dramatically. For a version of my program which is more
intensive in random-real than in random-integer results went from

Words allocated: 2881397657

Words reclaimed: 0

Elapsed time...: 48662 ms (User: 48628 ms; System: 25 ms)

Elapsed GC time: 751 ms (CPU: 707 in 10994 collections.)

Words allocated: 2802698351
Words reclaimed: 0
Elapsed time...: 30554 ms (User: 29516 ms; System: 187 ms)
Elapsed GC time: 162 ms (CPU: 141 in 2673 collections.)

which is a great improvement, so thank you.

For comparison, gambit compiled currently does

    9579 ms real time

    8696 ms cpu time (8686 user, 10 system)

    3704 collections accounting for 1383 ms real time (1368 user, 0 system)

    2864853696 bytes allocated

    325 minor faults

    no major faults

for the same run (1000 cluster flips per site with the Wolff algorithm on a
40x40 grid).

Marijn

- --
Gods do not want you to think, lest they lose existence.
Religions do not want you to think, lest they lose power.

Marijn Schouten (hkBst), Gentoo Lisp project, Gentoo ML
<http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-{lisp,ml} on FreeNode