[Larceny-users] running fasl's

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Mar 9 09:35:04 EDT 2009

Marijn wrote:
> I have some Scheme code that I'd like to run (pre-)compiled,
> but I'm probably doing something wrong because I'm not seeing
> any speed increase in comparison to simply running it.

You are probably using the IA32-native version of Larceny,
which automatically compiles everything you run, load, or
type.  Pre-compiling eliminates the compile time, but the
run time will be exactly the same.

> The code is basically
> http://dynamo.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/wiki/images/0/0d/Ising-20090308.scm

If the code is too slow, it's probably because Larceny's
implementation of SRFI 19's random-integer is slow.  If
you don't need high-quality random numbers, then you
could use a faster implementation of random-integer.
Larceny's implementation of random-real is probably fast
enough, especially if you're using the current development
system.  (I improved Larceny's implementation of SRFI 19
just a few days ago.)

Will