[Larceny-users] profiling spirales

Eduardo Cavazos wayo.cavazos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 00:50:57 EST 2009

William D Clinger wrote:

> Your profiles show that about 20% of the time is being
> spent in %flonum->bignum.  I doubt whether your problem
> really needs any bignum arithmetic at all

Yes, I was quite surprised to see bignum related procedures in the
profile reports.

> , so I suspect
> that you are using exact numbers for calculations that
> were intended to use inexact numbers.

Eh... I know that it's good to avoid bignum arithmetic where possible.
But I didn't know that using exact numbers (i.e. integer literals) will
throw Larceny into "bignum mode". Isn't there a middle ground for fixnums?

So to be sure, are you saying that if I have a literal '1' in my code, I
should change it to '0.0'?

Ed