[Larceny-users] err5rs and srfis

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 12 23:17:46 EST 2009

Ed Cavazos wrote:
> Is there a way to load srfi 27 while in err5rs mode?

In the current development system, you'd import
(srfi :27 random-bits), and that's how you'll import
it when v0.97 is released.  We expect v0.97 will
provide	most of	the libraries listed in	SRFI 97.

That doesn't work in v0.97b1 and earlier releases,
mainly because we were waiting for SRFI 97 to define
the naming convention.  As a temporary workaround,
if you aren't using the development system, you can
download lib/SRFI/srfi/%3a27.sls and rename both the
file and the library [1].

> If not, it seems like a bunch of libraries in the
> distribution are only usable in R5RS mode. Is the
> plan to make ERR5RS mode the "main" mode eventually?

I hope an R7RS will remove the need to have three
separate modes in Larceny (or four if you count
Scheme scripts).

ERR5RS is, in my opinion, a model for the R7RS to
emulate.  If the R7RS is similar to ERR5RS, then
Larceny will probably be updated to support R7RS
as its main mode.

At this	time, however, no one knows what the R7RS
will be	like, or even whether there will be an R7RS.
We'll have to see what happens.

Will

[1] https://trac.ccs.neu.edu/trac/larceny/wiki/SvnHttpCheckout