[Larceny-users] Ticket 638

Abdulaziz Ghuloum aghuloum at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:23:23 EDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009, at 8:01 PM, William D Clinger wrote:

> It appears to me that Andre van Tonder and Aziz Ghuloum
> agree implementations are allowed to raise an exception
> for that test

I actually don't know.  It's not clear to me from the
description of free-identifier=? in the report that it
is allowed to raise any exception given that its two
arguments are indeed identifiers.  Can you point it out?

Andre writes (below the paragraph he quoted before) that:

       Note:
       This choice raises a syntax violation when MzScheme
       and Chez would disagree, thus ensuring that a
       program blessed by this expander will be maximally
       portable.

Now just because Chez and MzScheme disagree on something
(as they often do) does not by itself justify for a third
implementation to raise an exception (despite the good
intentions).  Otherwise, it would be okay for, say, Ikarus
to raise an exception when asked (fixnum? 536870912) on
the ground that any program that's blessed by it will be
maximally portable.  Right?

Aziz,,,