[Larceny-users] first steps with Larceny

Derick Eddington derick.eddington at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 09:01:37 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 11:19 +0200, Michele Simionato wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM, William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> > Concerning the syntax bug (ticket #637 [1]), I wrote:
> >> This bug is Larceny-specific.  Andre van Tonder's macro
> >> expander is not at fault.
> >
> > I think I was wrong about that.
> >
> > I have checked in a possible fix that passes all my tests
> > but may still not be right.  Please let me know of any
> > more bugs you find.
>
> I updated svn this morning and recompiled larceny
> from scratch, following the rather complex compilation procedure
> that worked the first time, but now it seems I have
> corrupted the heap file or something like that.
> Probably I did something wrong, but I am at work
> now and I cannot check. Maybe Derick will report back.

I report I was able to build Larceny revision 6186 and these do now
work:

> (syntax->datum (syntax (... (... foo))))
(... foo)

> (import (for (sweet-macros helper2) expand))
Autoloading (sweet-macros helper2)
Autoloading (sweet-macros helper1)

> (define-syntax m
    (syntax-match ()
      (sub (_ u ...) #'(list u ...))))

> (m 1 2 3)
(1 2 3)

> P.S. indeed Larceny is the Scheme implementation
> with the more baroque installation procedure I have
> seen. Using PLT 4.0 as boostrap compiler did not work,
> so I had to install the Larceny binaries to be able to
> build the svn version.

I prefer using Larceny to build itself.  A Scheme system should build
itself.  (But being able to be built by others is neat too.)

> I would make an effort to
> support PLT as bootstrap compiler, since PLT
> is the implementation with the easier installation
> procedure ever, since it comes as prepackaged
> with many Linux distributions (at least with Ubuntu
> and Fedora).

If Larceny came prepackaged, it would be equally easy to use for
building new Larcenys.  I know those Linux distribution packaging people
love to add new packages as quickly as they can.

--
: Derick