[Larceny-users] Ticket 638

Derick Eddington derick.eddington at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 08:42:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 04:21 -0700, Derick Eddington wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 00:04 -0700, Derick Eddington wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 22:04 -0400, Lynn Winebarger wrote:
> > > There's an
> > > echo of Will's complaint that R6RS requires compiling programs with
> > > obvious errors to give error messages at run-time
> >
> > That temp2.sps is being compiled and run in the same process, so how can
> > you tell when the error is happening?  I think it probably actually is
> > happening at expand-time.
>
> I was wrong about that.  I wonder why the error isn't detected at
> expand-time.  Does R6RS really require this type of error to be reported
> at run-time?

R6RS Libraries 12.1 says:
"A reference to an identifier introduced into the output of a
transformer refers to [...] the closest enclosing lexical binding where
the identifier appears (within a syntax <template>) inside the
transformer body or one of the helpers it calls."

That "or one of the helpers it calls" suggests to me that templates in
helpers are also hygienic, regardless of where those helpers are from.

--
: Derick