[Larceny-users] first steps with Larceny

Derick Eddington derick.eddington at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 06:28:41 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 11:40 +0200, Michele Simionato wrote:
> It is a raining Sunday here in Milan, so I have decided to begin
> the porting of my R6RS code to Larceny. I was able to
> compile the Larceny SVN trunk on my system (Ubuntu Linux 32 bit)
> and basic things seem to work. So, I tried to port my sweet-macros library,
> which currently is structured as follow:
>
> sweet-macros
>   main.sls ;; for ikarus and ypsilon
>   main.mzscheme.sls
>   helper1.mzscheme.sls
>   helper2.mzscheme.sls
>   helper2.mzscheme.sls
>   test-all.ss
>
> I thought the only needed change was to copy
> the files  main.mzscheme.sls, helper1.mzscheme.sls,
> helper2.mzscheme.sls,  helper2.mzscheme.sls
> by substituting mzscheme with larceny;  however,
> apparently it does not work.

Well, if they're specific to MzScheme, they're probably not going to
work in Larceny, at least not without reviewing and tweaking some
things.  Oh, now I'm remembering your sweet macros, I'm guessing
those .mzscheme.sls are for explicit phasing systems but otherwise
they're not implementation-specific?  Remember to configure Larceny's
search paths correctly.  But your problem might just be:

> Does Larceny look
> at the main file in the directory, as it is the case
> in all the other R6RS implementations?

Larceny doesn't support implicit main files.  Which at this point I
think is good because Ikarus, PLT, and Ypsilon all do it differently and
we don't want more confusion.  My "Library Files" SRFI proposal (still
in progress after discovering a challenging issue related to combined
version constraints) will support a standard for implicit main files
(it's simple and already ready, I believe).

> I have another question too.
> I am writing a compatibility library and I would
> like to know from where can I import things
> like  format, printf ,pretty-print and gensym.
> I assume larceny has some internal library
> providing these features

Eduardo told you where they're at, but they're not exactly the same as
other implementations'.  See my (xitomatl common) library's .larceny.sls
file for what I've done to get a uniform interface.

--
: Derick