[Larceny-users] fixnum math

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:02:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 6:34 PM, William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> Ray Racine noticed:
>> fx math is unexpectedly slower.
>
> the R6RS fx operations
> will never be any faster than the generic operations
> in Larceny because the R6RS requires all fx operations
> to check their arguments and also their result.
> unsafe fx
> operations were removed from the draft R6RS at the
> insistence of at least two discussants, one of whom
> was Aziz Ghuloum

<claws mode="out">
So are they faster in ikarus?
<claws mode="retract">

> Larceny may eventually provide a Larceny-specific
> library that exports Larceny-specific versions of
> the R6RS fx operations that run faster than the
> generic operations.

Please do. Performance has always been one of my motivations to use
Larceny and right now I am looking at it to bootstrap a numerical
programming platform. an 'unsafe' mode with all the explicitly typed
primitives exposed would be really great :)

david rush
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt