[Larceny-users] Heaps in err5rs: giant heaps, errors loading, extra slow compile with -stopcopy

Felix Klock felixluser at pnkfx.org
Sat May 17 06:02:58 EDT 2008

On May 16, 2008, at 9:24 PM, Ray Racine wrote:

> Adding -stopcopy appears to slow the load down slightly, maybe
> taking a
> sec or two longer.  I haven't tried creating a heap because of
> extensive
> FFI use in the code and I've been assuming (maybe erroneously that
> there
> is an outstanding bug regarding heaps with FFI).

I believe that heap dumping is supposed to interoperate "correctly"
with the FFI.  (You probably could not ship such heaps to other
clients, but I think they should be fine for personal use.)

There are certainly artifacts of support for such interoperability
floating around in the source code, and I'm pretty sure that a prior
incarnation of the Larceny development team did experiments to confirm
that Sparc native Larceny supported heap dumping interoperation with
the FFI.

So I would be curious to know if you encountered bugs yourself; it
could very well be that there are bugs for such interoperation on
Intel native Larceny.

-Felix