[Larceny-users] freezing for garbage collection?

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:37:26 EST 2008

David Rush wrote:
> Given that Larceny was originally meant to be a platform for trying various
> GC schemes (no pun intended) is it perhaps time to find a gifted student in
> need of a senior project to write a bounded-incremental collector?

Last week, after giving a talk on that very problem for
a meeting of our local student chapter of the ACM, I met
several gifted students who seemed to have some interest.

> My read of the literature is that such a collector is a fairly well-solved
> problem...

Real-time collectors generally sacrifice considerable
throughput.  Maintaining throughput while bounding the
worst-case pause time remains a goal of current research.

Will