[Larceny-users] on porting to larceny

David Rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 16:04:46 EST 2008

2008/12/27 William D Clinger <will at ccs.neu.edu>:
> Marco Moggi wrote:
>> I cannot use COMPILE-STALE-LIBRARIES because
>> when  there are the following files in the same
>> directory:
>>
>> compat.ikarus.sls
>> compat.larceny.sls
>> compat.ypsilon.sls
>>
>> Larceny attempts to compile all of them, not only
>> the "larceny.sls" one.
>
> That has been logged as a requested enhancement
> (ticket #602).

I should probably add this to the ticket, but it's unclear to me how
to define this feature in a way that doesn't (pardon my failing
imagination) suck. Compatibility in general is a N^2 problem; you need
to define the "from" system and the "to" system in order to completely
specify which compatibility module you want in the most general case.

I guess what I've really asking is: Are SRFIs 0 & 7 prohibited from
R6RS? The way I handle this in the R[45]RS world is with a standard
prelude that uses SRFI-0 to establish my standard baseline
implementation environment.

>> Even when running the Larceny REPL, doing:
>>
>> > (import (rnrs))
>> > (import (uriel foreign))
>>
>> raises the error about "(uriel  cstring)", but in
>> Uriel's compilation script I have:
>>
>> | (compile-library "uriel/cstring.sls"
>> |                  "uriel/cstring.larceny.slfasl")
>> | (compile-library "uriel/foreign.sls"
>> |                  "uriel/foreign.larceny.slfasl")
>>
>> so cstring is compiled first.  I dunno what to do.
>
> It sounds as though (uriel foreign) might import some
> library L that (hereditarily) imports some library L2
> that (hereditarily) imports (uriel cstring), and that
> your script is either failing to compile L2 or is
> compiling it before (uriel cstring).  But that's just
> a guess.

How hard would it be to get Larceny to dump a topological sort of the
library dependency graph? I Ihad to build that functionality into my
library manager just in order to debug the thing and it's turned out
to be staggeringly useful as time has gone on...

david rush
--
GPG Public key at http://cyber-rush.org/drr/gpg-public-key.txt