[Larceny-users] recursive lists and C-c problems

Marco Maggi marco.maggi-ipsu at poste.it
Tue Dec 9 02:22:48 EST 2008

"William D Clinger" wrote:
>> It would suffice to have a command
>> line switch that makes the process
>> exit whenever an exception is not
>> blocked.
>
> For what purpose(s) would that suffice?
> If by "exception" you mean an R6RS
> exception, then it seems to me you could
> do that yourself by installing a handler.

I used bad words. What I mean is that I am
UNused to runtimes that enter a debugger
by default when running a program; my
least surprise behaviour is to just exit
with an error code, when something that
the program was not expecting goes wrong.
IMHO the go-in-debugger-by-default is a
REPL thing.

I see this as both a security problem and
a workflow problem.

I speculate that most of the times I would
just exit the debugger because I am not
"ready" for a debug session (I rarely use
the debugger in any language). For example,
when I am in a write-and-run cycle for a test
suite using the lightweight testing SRFI, and
I make a mistake that causes an exception to
go through to the top level (not a failing
test, but a mistake in using something), I do
not want to enter the debugger: I just want
to see the error message.

It may be that I have a bad workflow...
--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"