[Larceny-users] Larceny basics

Dan Muresan danmbox at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 01:46:21 EDT 2007

> I think the following rule of thumb covers most of
> the caveats Felix was expressing:
>
>     At present, Larceny's compile-file assumes that
>     any macro definitions contained within the file
>     it is asked to compile are intended to be local
>     to the file it is asked to compile.

Ah, thanks.

>     Hence loading a compiled file will *not* load
>     any of the macros that were defined by that
>     file.
>
> If you don't use compile-file at all, then you don't
> need to worry about this.

Well, I *do* want to compile files, just like I do in SISC and Chicken. To be fair, this is an issue with Chicken extensions as well (hence require vs. require-for-syntax and eggs with separate .so and .scm files).

Is there a form to load only the macros from a file? That way one can keep both the .fasl and .sch around and load the library in two steps.

Alternatively, what's the preferred way to structure libraries that export both procedures and macros?

Best,
Dan