[Larceny-users] Getting unix-era time in Larceny

Lars T Hansen lth at acm.org
Mon Mar 26 16:13:33 EDT 2007

On 3/26/07, David Rush <kumoyuki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi y'all,
>
> I'm sure there is a straightforward way to get this that my incipient
> migraine is preventing me from finding. The closest I have seen so far
> appears to be the entry point osdep_cpuclock or possibly
> osdep_realclock down in the Rts innards. I can't see how either of
> these get surfaced to procedures at the repl.
>
> And just to be difficult, I do need it to work on windows :) Any suggestions?

Strikes me as something there ought to be a simple syscall for.

If you're happy with 1 second resolution, you can cobble something
together with with-output-to-file, display, and
file-modification-time, but it's not exactly pretty:

(define (now)
  (with-output-to-file "/tmp/fnord"
    (lambda () (display "x")))
 (file-modification-time "/tmp/fnord"))

With a randomly generated file name and some platform adaptation this
might even approach being robust...

--lars