[Larceny-users] Weak references

Lars T Hansen lth at acm.org
Tue Jul 24 05:50:59 EDT 2007

I know I never put it in.  There have been some experiments with a
facility built around the primitive "sro" (see the manual), which can
be used to find objects of given types that only have a given number
of references to them.  Say you have a table mapping strings to
objects.  As I remember it, one would create a table abstraction that
would occasionally scan the heap for all strings with a single
referent; if your table holds that string as a key then the key/object
pair can be evicted from the table.  It's probably less brittle if you
invent new types for keys instead of using strings.

There used to be some code in Auxlib or somesuch that used this, but
IIRC we never used it even to collect the symbol table.

--lars