[Larceny-users] GC options

Felix Klock felixluser at pnkfx.org
Wed Jan 24 14:34:23 EST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 12:45 AM, Felix Klock wrote:

> The -reorganize-and-dump option will generate a new heap file with
> the objects partitioned into two areas: one for the codevectors, and
> another for everything else.  This can yield significant performance
> gains on IA32, because mutations to data should not affect the code
> cache after such partitioning is performed.  (I will probably have
> concrete numbers on the benefits of doing this in the next day or
> two.)

Here are some concrete numbers illustrating the potential effects of
using -regorganize-and-dump.

The NONDUMP column is the standard set of larceny benchmarks, running
on a development version of the runtime.  The DUMP column is the same
set of benchmarks, but now the benchmark compilation includes a step
where we load the benchmark, dump the interactive heap, and then
reorganize-and-dump the generated heap image.  Running the benchmark
is then just a matter of loading the reorganized heap

In several cases, reorganize-and-dump yields a speed up of 5 to 20%,
but it not an absolute win.  I'm a bit surprised by how much
performance degrades in some cases (e.g. boyer, diviter, divrec,
scheme); I do not have an immediate reason for it.

Anyway, the point is that Sven may want to try using -reorganize-and-
dump, just to see if it helps.

-Felix

	"time (ms)"	"time (ms)"
	DUMP	NONDUMP