[Larceny-users] GC options

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jan 23 17:13:35 EST 2007

Sven asked:
> Are there any ways to exclude large read only structures from GC
> (besides using a database or similar)?

Not exactly, but the -reorganize-and-dump option (which
requires the -stopcopy option) allows you to dump a new
heap image after loading your program and its structures
into Larceny.  When you use that dumped heap for a later
session of Larceny, the dumped code and data structures
will be traced but never copied.

As Felix pointed out, truly large objects are never
copied anyway, so I don't know whether that will help.

Another thing you might try is to increase the size of
the Sequential Store Buffer using the -ssb option.  That
might help if the problem is caused by an unusual number
of side effects.  (It won't make the problem go away,
because Larceny's write barrier is slow, and there's no
fix for that except to use the -stopcopy option and the
(write-barrier #f) compiler switch, which may not be a
good solution for your application.)

Will