[Larceny-users] GC options

Felix Klock felixluser at pnkfx.org
Mon Jan 22 13:06:03 EST 2007

Sven-

On Jan 19, 2007, at 2:42 AM, Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de wrote:

> As I have a GC intensive program I tried to find better GC options
> for my compiled program.
> Here are some results but I feel a little bit lost which combinations
> to try among the many possibilities:

Yes, I felt a little lost looking at that table as well.  The size of
heap area number 0 may be inversely related to the running time of
your program, but since the other parameters were not fixed, I don't
think that's a solid conclusion to draw.

What percentage of the time is devoted to garbage collection?  If
you're using the Larceny time (or run-benchmark) routine, it will
print out a gc time information line separately from the running time.

> Are there any ways to exclude large read only structures from GC
> (besides using a database or similar)?

1. When you say "large", how large do you mean?  More than 4 KB?

2. What do you mean by "exclude" ?

The reason I ask these questions is that Larceny already has a large
object space that is collected via mark-sweep rather than a copying
collector.  So if the goal of "exclusion" is to avoid paying the cost
of copying such objects, it is not necessary.  If the goal of
"exclusion" is to avoid paying the cost of tracing the objects, then
no, there is currently no principled way to avoid that.

-Felix