[Larceny-users] Larceny on bare silicon

david rush kumoyuki at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:02:14 EST 2007

Ok, I admit it. I have too much time on my hands, but I can;t seem to
stick to any one thing right now either...

So amongst the bits and oieces of my life I have an old x86 box which
has been running SuSE 6.0 for *years*. I'm very network-challenged at
home (I use a 1 GB USB bipedal packet-transport system) and have
finally ripped the drives out of the SuSE 6 box and have them
connected to a SuSE 9 box using a USB->IDE adapter gadget I got from
Maplin for EUR 50.

Which isn;t; relevant to anything except for the fact that I have an
empty 6GB disk I could put *back* in that machine and was thinking it
might be fun to set up a boot record that took the system straight
into Larceny/IAssasin. Sort of a latter-day LISP Machine :)

So I have two questions. One is obvious: does anyone have a good idea
of where to start before I crawl into a dead-end in the code? And can
anyone elaborate on how to use the Assassin module as a stand-alone
assembler? I don;t know that I will be able to take this project very
far, but it seems like a fun thing to try. If it works I'll give my
box to my 12-year old son who is bothering me to teach him to program
and wants his own computer ;)

david
--
Once you label me, you negate me