[Larceny-users] Where is pretty-print hiding in ERR5RS?

AndrevanTonder andre at het.brown.edu
Thu Dec 27 10:37:32 EST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, William D Clinger wrote:

> Ryan Newton wrote:
>> It looks like pretty-print didn't make it into the R6RS standard
>> libs.  Normal larceny (r5rs) has pretty-print bound at top-level, but
>> I haven't been able to figure out what library I need to import to get
>> pretty-print in ERR5RS mode.
>
> Any procedure that is present in Larceny's R5RS mode
> (and not loaded dynamically using require or load) can
> be imported using the following paradigm:
>
> (import (primitives pretty-print
>                    open-output-string
>                    get-output-string))
>
> A library's import declaration can use the primitives
> clause also.

Note that "primitives" will not work for macros in general, most especially not
for macros that introduce bindings or that have syntax that does not
conform to the simple (rand rator ...) format.  On the other
hand, it will work for non-binding macros that are of the (rand rator ..)
format, such as "time".

Andre