[Cs5500] Avatar Defense Sessions

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:30:56 EST 2011

Avatar Defense Sessions

We will continue offering tournaments.

Some of your avatars seem to have been mistreated by either the SCG Court
software or the playground software for HSR and MMG. We have developed the
SCG Court software and playground software without any intention of harming
the right of avatars to get fair evaluations. Indeed, we have built SCG
Court with the goal of being a fair evaluation system for algorithms
and claims about them (there are several other goals too).

We apologize for any mistreatment of your avatar. Significant effort has
gone into avoiding any such mistreatment.

For those of you who feel that your avatar did not get a fair chance, we
will organize 15 minute avatar defense sessions. The purpose of those
sessions is that  you can present all the positive attributes of your
avatar which did not shine through in the tournament results. You are also
encouraged to present specific instances of mistreatment
of your avatar denying it a fair chance to compete.

The defense sessions will take place on Tuesday Dec. 6.

Independent of the Avatar Defense Sessions
we will evaluate the source code of all your avatars.

Your audience will be Ravi, Karl, and representatives from the graduate
class CS 5500 who tried hard to give your avatar a fair evaluation. Ahmed
might also be there.

I will send out a schedule on Friday after a few more tournaments.

I know that many of you spent significant time on designing and implementing
your avatar and those avatar defense sessions will compensate for
any points you lost without your fault in tournaments.