[Cs5500] Reg: Clarifications on MMG playground

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Nov 19 22:18:04 EST 2011

Hi Ravi:

the new purpose of the playground is that the students learn a bit
about numerical algorithms:

http://www.google.ch/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=floating+point+arithmetic+ACM+surveys&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEkQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fciteseer.ist.psu.edu%2Fviewdoc%2Fdownload%3Fdoi%3D10.1.1.102.244%26rep%3Drep1%26type%3Dpdf&ei=-m7IToKYM-zF0AGHsvn0Dw&usg=AFQjCNFIP4OiauCFvvGxWXA_5bi3xuA18w

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=103163

We want them to get close to the golden ratio (sqrt(5)-1)/2 but in
such a way that the playground can reliably detect whether they are
above or below.

Ideally we would like them to hit the first floating point number
below the golden ratio on the machine we use. Does the interface:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Double.html
allow us to check this?

-- Karl