[Cs5500] Playgrounds HSR and MMG under attack

Ravishankar Rajagopal rajagopal.r at husky.neu.edu
Fri Nov 18 12:09:30 EST 2011

Hello Professor,

I reviewed the latest code for the valid function in the HSRInstance class
and based on my understanding the valid function does return invalid
results as valid. Although the example that Matthew provided does not seem
to be right, the example that that was later provided by Greg seems to be a
proper counterexample. The decision tree can be seen in the below link for
HSR(10,3)

http://pastebin.com/Rc2JHC1a

All the valid function seems to be doing is

1. There are no more jars broken than k along any path from the root to
each of the leaves.
2. Testing if none of the internal nodes(question in Compound solutions)
repeat and they fall exactly once between 1 and n-1
3. Testing if none of the leaves (simple solutions) repeat and they fall
exactly once between 0 and n-1

Greg's example satisfies all of them even though it is not a valid
solution. In fact for the same instance you could construct several invalid
decision trees which satisfy the above three.

I would appreciate some help from someone in the MSD group to help me test
more thoroughly. Thanks.

Regards,
Ravi Rajagopal